Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Test of Monday

A little lost? Read our last chapter: Sunday

10:00AM - I am trying to make this morning rather relaxed and easy on Leia as I know later might be a bit stressful. Three little worries this morning, she came out of the crate limping. Concerned I had her lie down and checked the back leg (her left, my right when facing her). Lucily it was just a little cramp and was over quickly. She has been exercising a lot more than she did in the shelter, and I imagine this is a little rough on her as her body adjusts. Second, her ears seem to be itching her  a little. When we go to the vet we'll get it checked out, if it is still persisting.  Also, right before we went outside she couched once and a snot ball landed on a file folder (ew!). I am hoping that was it but will be watching her in case it is kennel cough or a URI (upper respiratory infection), both of which are common in shelter dogs. Otherwise she has been doing pretty good this morning. She ate most of her breakfast and is entering her crate more on her own (today she is getting a bit of kibble each time she walks all the way in on her own).

Her first time choosing to be in the crate.
Notice, the door is op
--OMG she did it! She just walked in her crate and lay down, resting all on her own, even with the crate door open. GOOD GIRL LEIA! So proud of her, this is a pretty big step toward becoming comfortable with her crate.

I had corrected her (very gently) a few times from laying right next to the other side of the sofa and simply kinda claimed it as my space. She then decided the next best way to be close was her crate. Now she is sleeping soundly in there.

She also licked at her bone (Nylabone) a little today. Hopefully she will come to love it. It is chicken "flavored" and I put peanut butter on it the first day, hoping to encourage her to try playing with it. I did notice a few teeth marks on it today, not many, but a few.
Resting Comfortably in her crate, door open.
 Slowly Leia is coming out of her shell. Of course this does come with a few draw backs, we are having to work a little harder at the walk because she is beginning to want to lead. I keep putting her back at my heel and she eventually settles in to a good stride. Oh well, I can work with this. I made the Kong and put it in the freezer so hopefully it will last a bit longer when she gets it later. Life is an adventure, I know this evening will be.

1:00PM -  Leia has chosen to go in her crate several more times. In a bit I am going to try to wear her out soon. I am thinking I will set up the house like I do at night, where the dining room light is on but that's it, and maybe leave the TV in the bedroom on with the door closed. I am REALLY hoping she is able to hold up through my class and that she doesn't somehow break out, or scream and howl the entire time.

2:30PM - Oops!  Leia went to walk into her crate again and her back paw clipped her water dish, hurling water everywhere. I put her blanket in the dryer, cleaned up the water, and then encouraged her to come into the crate a few times, to ensure it hadn't spooked her from wanting to go in the crate. She was fine and is again, resting in her crate comfortably, even if she doesn't have her blankie. She was fine for the short time I packed my book bag, put it in the car, and moved the car from the garage. I left her in the house for that, and when I came back she was sitting in front of the door, a little nervous but not panicking.  I calmly came back in and returned to doing things around the house. I am really, really hoping she is ok tonight. I put a little sign outside the door to let people know about the noise. I am also really hoping this sign doesn't put her in danger (like of someone breaking in) so I will take it down after I return, hopefully not needing it again depending on how she does.
Crossing my fingers and getting ready to begin the "pre-leaving" process. 3:00 is big walk time. Then crate with a tranquility treat and before I leave I'll add the Kong and quietly leave. I so badly want this to go well for her.

7:00PM - So, I am back from class and am one proud mama! What did Leia do while I was gone?
Our Good Girl, out of the crate and proud.
4:20 - I have had her in the crate for about 30 minutes, I give her the kong and her dinner and leave.
4:30 - (check in with skype from this point on) One little whine, not thrilled I left, but she then starts licking the kong a little.
4:35 - mild Kong interest
4:40 - interest in dinner
5:00 - Asleep
5:30 - Asleep
6:30 - half asleep
6:50 - awakened by the sound of the garage door, alert but quiet. I was able to enter the house calmly and she wagged her tail. I tried not to make a big deal about coming home but damn i am so proud I could squeal. I will let her out after this update (so coming home isn't a huge deal) but I am insanely happy with her.

Now that I am home she is more interested in working the kong (which I think is still mostly full) but it's nice to know she was able to be left alone for over 2 hours without a major issue. Such a sigh of relief but lets hope it keeps up.

8:00PM - We just finished a pretty good walk. Leia's Shelter personality is starting to come back out (which is a good thing for the most part). She is pulling at the leash a bit more but to me, that is easy to work on. On the plus side, she is sniffing more, she is walking up to people to say hello more, and she seems to be seriously considering taking me into the lake, if not for the sake of swimming, than to harass the local water foul.  She saw the ducks this evening and I about lost my left arm.

She is also starting to get the walk leaving and returning routine down, which is: come to the carpet right before the tiles (which are in front of the door), sit, get the leash on, remain sitting while I unlock and open the door (do not get up, I will tell you when), I say "come Leia" and she is allow to exit the door and pause, I come out, and lock up the door, time to walk (where she is generally expected to stay close, and if I don't want to stop we don't), when we return she can walk up to the door, sniff it but then is expected to sit, I open the door, she walks in and sits (in the same place where she sits at the start), get the leash off, I say alright, she can go. Complicate? A bit. Full of safeguards so she doesn't break out, run crazy, drag me out kicking and screaming, or get hit by a car? Absolutely!

Her tail is up a lot more on her walk and she is sniffing both the air and ground, which to me, says she is getting comfortable and realizing that this home isn't going anywhere. Funds are definitely tight right now: we need printer ink, we still have her first vet visit coming up, and that will include (probably 6m to a year's worth) of preventatives but she is family now, and we look out for family, even if that does mean Mom and Dad will be cooking in all next month and probably enjoying any movie in the form of an already owned DVD but come on, we have Leia, and while it would be nice to have toilet paper too (just kidding, we're not that desperate yet), I am happy with the choice we made.

Read our next chapter together! - Our Tuesday Update

No comments:

Post a Comment