Tuesday, June 26, 2012

First Vet Visit!

A little lost? Read our last chapter: Mundane Monday 

So wait? Why are we here?
Well, this morning we got up, went for a walk, fed Leia and hopped in the car.  Today was a big day for her: First vet visit. She did great in the car and walked right in and waited politely (minus knocking a box of cat toys off a shelf). She met the staff and was pretty good in the waiting room. She wasn't so hot on getting on the scale but all in all it went pretty well.

We went back and talked a little about her health. I mentioned her sneezing and pawing at her ears/face so that meant it was time for round two of testing. Leia did NOT like her fecal test/temp taking and got loud about it which meant it was time for a "party hat" (translation: Here's your muzzle!)

She whined and cried during the whole thing but didn't really snarl or try to bite so I think it is mostly fear related. I've noticed Leia is very sensitive about having her butt sniffed, probed etc. I wonder if she's had a bad experience with that?


We also had her ears tested and discovered she has a yeast infection in her ears. She did not like getting them cleaned annnnd now I get to do this at home with no spare hands every other day and do drops every day. OH boy this ought to be fun. Plus we don't have a muzzle... but I have instructions as to how to make one with a leash so if need be we'll do that until we can get one.

We talked about the fact that we need to socialize her a bit more (especially since she growled at a pit puppy). She seems to be a dominant personality with other dogs and I'll have to work to keep her respect and obedience. She's a sweet girl but she really does think she is Princess Leia and should be in charge (and would probably take charge if I let her.) Anyhow, it is still very hit or miss with introductions, sometimes she is great, sometimes she growls. She is good with people though, just nervous.

Her new penguin.
Part of me is hesitant to write those things about Leia because I know some will judge her for being nervous or having trouble with socialization, but she IS a good girl, she is just learning the rules and how to be a dog in her new home.

 For being a good girl at the vet the ladies gave her a new Penguin toy that squeaks. She is still not sure what to make of this little guy but is starting to show an interest. It takes her a while to understand a toy is hers and she can play with it but I think she'll get it.
 
It's going to be more important than ever for us to work on our budget as this visit with 6 months of preventative, ear meds, and tests, ran us a whopping $300.  OUCH! Then again preventatives run high anyhow. Soon (after a second negative heartworm test) we will be able to cut the price of preventatives by getting one combined preventative instead of two different ones. We have a follow-up in 2 weeks to double check her ears.
New Squeaky toy.

Around 4 today we went out to the tennis court again. I tied Leia's leash to her collar for my own security, even though I know it wouldn't make much of a difference if she got away. We walked and ran around as well as worked on recall. I brought a few broken pieces of a milk bone with me and we'd walk around and then I'd wait until she got distracted or wandered away and then call her back cheerfully. When she came over I'd love on her and give her a little bite of cookie. She seemed to like this game and I think it reinforces that coming to me is a positive thing. I was a little worried because the court has a few gaps at the bottom of the fence but most are small enough she can't fit through and the one that might be close I always steer her away from. She seemed to have a great time and did pretty well with recall.
"Ok, he squeaks but I like him any way!"

Tonight I was a little worried because in the half hour after I put Leia's food down she showed zero interest. I finally walked over with the bowl and a pellet and had her try eating one piece. She spit it out twice but then caught on to it being food. She's eating pretty well now  but it wasn't her normal behavior. She isn't a ravenous eater but she normally eats at least some portion right away and then might walk off. I know she knew where her food was because she saw me pour it, put it in her kennel, and even walked in and saw it. I think I just had to get her started and then she was ready to eat. She didn't quite finish it all but she normally doesn't (like 7/10 times).

Read our next chapter together! - But... I Want my Wednesday Walk....

No comments:

Post a Comment