Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Will it Storm today?

A little lost? Read our last chapter:  Our Tuesday Update

She's assumed the position. Nap time!
10:00AM - well, Leia continues to begin pushing boundaries but nothing too significant. She is sniffing more things in the house, and complaining a bit more about random things but is doing "stealth whining" (one whine and then wont repeat it for a good while, which makes it hard to correct). Luckily it is quiet, and to me would be the equivalent of murmuring under your breath. She is also getting a little pushy about wanting attention and I am trying to make her realize it is on my terms. I don't mind her asking, but I do mind her pawing at me after I have already moved her off. I want her to respect our space, as we respect hers.

We checked the weather this morning and around 4 PM there is a 40% chance of rain/thunder storms, so around  I did two laps around the lake this morning with her, hoping to wear her out and burn off some of the nervous energy. Around 2:30 to 3 we will have a tranquility treat and another "busted" walk (a walk meant to wear her out).

On the walk we met a Pyrenees Puppy (probably 6 months) and Leia actually wanted to sniff the dog. We also met an old chocolate lab, probably close to 10 years old, and Leia walked right up and sniffed him too, still mostly face to face meetings which I am trying to direct to face the tail instead (normally considered more polite in the dog world). No growls from Leia, both times she sniffed and then was kinda like "ok, lets walk."  We've also been working on not being so afraid of golf carts. For some reason they absolutely freak her out. so we slowly walk in circles near the carts until she can calmly walk past them (or at least not walk by while looking over her shoulder, fearfully).

Leia rolling on the carpet
1:00PM - Went for a second walk... it was just barely misting when we went out. It down poured by the time we were half way around the lake. Leia doesn't mind the rain but we have yet to experience thunder. I gave her a tranquility treat when we got back and she is pretty much out cold right now.

"Am I supposed to be concerned about something?"
"I want chicken curry..."
8:00PM - Well, all that prep and no thunder. Isn't that just how it always happens? We went for a third walk  (again in the rain) but what struck me was when I picked up the closed umbrella Leia jumped backwards. When I knelt down she came back over and seemed to realize I wasn't going to hurt her with it, but it really makes you wonder why she reacted that way. She didn't flee far, she didn't yelp or anything, so I don't think they beat her but maybe someone used to scold her with a news paper or something similar? Who knows, either way I tried to make sure not to scare her with the umbrella when it opened (a big hovering rainbow disk was disconcerting enough for her).

At dinner tonight she sat, coveting my food but kept her place lying on the floor, hoping I might decide to share. Sorry honey, no curry for you. When I was finishing my dinner she walked across the room and bumped her kibble bag with her nose, as if to say "ok, I was a good girl, now it's my turn!" Don't worry Leia, I remember. She enjoyed dinner in her kennel and has been resting comfortably ever sense.

On a random note, we received our  Free Cesar Millan DVD today. I haven't had time to watch it yet (darn you homework!) but I look forward to it.  It discusses how to walk you dog instead of your dog walking you, ways to keep your dog from running away, and the importance of exercise for your dog's overall health. It also, of course, helps you become a pack leader, which is important since dogs are pack creatures.

Part of being a good dog owner  and pet parent is being the leader of your pack. Do I agree with everything Cesar says? No. I don't agree with 100% of what anyone says (minus God himself maybe), but I think Cesar has quite a few great points and earning your dog's respect as leader, owner, and caregiver is an important part of bonding with your pet.



(Today we added a new page to the blog: Products We Love which we will continue to add to as we go. Am I telling you "buy this?" No. Do I get anything if you purchase those things? Nope. Just letting you know what we've tried and liked.)

Read our next chapter together! - A Wonderful Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment