Thursday, June 28, 2012

Facing her Fears


A little lost? Read our last chapter: But... I Want my Wednesday Walk....  


Well our morning walk went very well. We had several bikes pass us and she was very happy to meet a nice couple who wanted to greet her. I of course asked them to let her sniff their hands first and they were happy to do so.

First Ear Cleaning:
We came home and it was ear cleaning time (not just drops, cleaning). She did a great job and occasionally gave me a protesting look but didn't make a peep.  We were able to clean them pretty well and get the drops good and deep in there. Proud of my girl! I was all worried this would be a big fight and right in the beginning she did try to back away once, but I called her back and she realized I wasn't trying to traumatize her, and was even willing to pet her through the whole thing.

Leia meets the Vacuum:
Our next big scary event was that I needed to vacuum the floor. I knew she wasn't going to like this beast so I put the leash around my waist and hooked her to me. First I let her meet the vacuum while it was off, then once she seemed ok with it we cut it on and let it sit stationary. She tried to back up but the leash stopped it. I encouraged her to come back closer and she did. She seems to trust me a lot and knows that I am not going to call her toward something which could hurt her. We then vacuumed the house together which she wasn't a fan of but did. Every time she stood with me and didn't try to back away she got a treat. I figure if she gets treats when she is a good girl near the vacuum maybe it will help ease her fear of it.

We cleaned most of the living room together and then walked her past it a few times while it was sitting, on, and then off. We put it away, I praised her, and then let her go. She didn't bolt and seemed to understand that I wasn't asking her to love the vacuum, I was asking her to not run away while I was cleaning. I doubt she is gonna be best friends with it any time soon, but we'll keep doing this so she gets used to it and realizes the vacuum is nothing to fear. We've been doing this with golf carts too, and the big dumpster as well as a Uhaul truck. She is uncertain of  them so I walk up to it and touch it while talking to her kindly. we then walk around it or back and forth until she isn't trying to swing wide or run away from it.

We've had to do this on our walks too. Originally, when cars passed us from behind she'd try to speed up. I've been working on correcting it each time, and even giving a preventative "shh" command (which means slow down) and now she seems to be calming down and accepting that cars passing isn't something that should phase her. I'm glad she didn't try to fight it, but at the same time, I don't want her to be so afraid that vacuuming becomes an exercise in fear.

6:00 PM - LEIA IS LEARNING HOW TO PLAY FETCH!!!!


After Dinner we went out and played with Mr. Penguin on the Tennis court. We got about 6 throws in before she was ready to just let him sit there. Bringing him back needs some polish (she forgets a lot) but it was a good way to burn off some energy in the evening.

By bed time she Climbed right in to her crate when I told her "In." I must admit I am proud of her.


Read our next chapter together! Food and Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment