Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Our Tuesday Update

A little lost? Read our last chapter: The Test of Monday 

Well, This morning we got up, got Leia and I fed, went for a walk and then I had her settle into her crate, mainly because I had to run an errand. As always I waited a while after she was in the crate to leave, to ensure she doesn't associate "get in the crate" with "I'm leaving you behind." After I gave her the Kong I just quietly walked into the garage. Of course, that action was followed but the garage door opening, the car starting and then the door closing again, and I think this is what upset Leia.

She cried for 15 minutes, even howling at one point, and then settled down. I didn't go back in, I wanted to let her realize I wasn't coming back just cause she was crying. For the rest of the time I was gone she was fine and rested well. Another factor which could have influenced her behavior was that I tried 1/2 of the normal amount of tranquility treat. I get the feeling I wont be doing that again right away.

When I came home we kept to the normal waiting and ignoring routine. Once I did let her out she tried to finish her Kong, and I let her have it until she walked away. Then I took it up and refroze the small remaining amount. So today had that little set back of her crying, but I will keep leaving and returning, so she gets used to it and learns that just because I leave doesn't mean I left her.

4:00PM - It's been a slow day. I've noticed sometimes Leia puts her mouth on things but doesn't chew. I correct her each time and she doesn't mess with that thing again. Not to worried about it yet because it seems more like she is exploring than trying to chew or destroy.

I'm still not convinced she doesn't have a URI, no major symptoms but she is sometimes panting at times where I don't see a good reason for it, and  then rarely coughing, like twice a day. I'm watching her like a hawk though, just in case. Again, could just be mommy jitters.

The next week ought to be interesting as it appears like there is at least a 30% chance of thunder storms every day from tomorrow to next Tuesday... awesome... Here is hoping she is not super terrified of storms or I will be picking up some large ace bandages and finding an old T to basically swaddle her (compression therapy). Be Brave Leia!  

4:40PM - Hehe, Not sure what Leia was dreaming about but this low rumble came from under the coffee table. She was apparently having a growling dream.

6:20PM  - Leia didn't like the windy weather. She is a bit spooked by moving trees which to me probably doesn't bode well for how she will do in thunder storms... (Oh boy... and we have a week of the coming up. Joy!). She got to see the front gate move today. I had her stand with me near the gate so she saw it wasn't going to hurt her. On our walk we met a tiny 8 week old pug puppy. Leia sniffed her a little and then was kinda done with it. The Pug was over joyed at her new super-sized friend.

Yet again Leia found that one dern piece of crust on our walk and yet again I fussed at her and her, putting a finger in her mouth and flicking it out. She does surprisingly well with this and doesn't protest. This is the third time she has picked something up and I've removed it from her mouth and each time she is very gentle and seems to get that she isn't supposed to be messing with whatever is in her mouth.

10:00PM - Well, the good news is I have discovered that if Leia takes something and I scold her she will drop it, But really Leia, stealing the paper towel that was sitting right in front of me? Like I wasn't gonna notice your big butt lab head in front of both the comp and the TV? It's hard to keep a straight face when she is being that silly but I played the tough mama role well. I guess that puts us in the "stealing" phase of getting comfortable in her new home. I'll keep watching her like a hawk. Just cause it's in the house doesn't mean it should be in your belly you silly girl...

Read our next chapter together! - Will it Storm today?

No comments:

Post a Comment