Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Her Story Continues

A little lost? Read our last chapter: In the Beginning

Well, the next morning I work up early and just drove. There was no word because they didn't open until 10am, but I couldn't sit at home and wait. I drove the two hours to the shelter on the hope that something would have happened in the night, and maybe we could take her home. I imagine that drive must be somewhat like driving to the hospital to be induced or have a c-section surgery: anxiety, hope, fear, all rolled up into one ride which seems hours longer than it is. I arrived 10 minutes before the shelter opened and stood with an older woman, an older couple, and 3 young men, all waiting for the doors to open.
 I chatted with the couple and found out they were here for Okelani's kennel mate, who they said had escaped from their home after their neighbors were robbed (the dog was possibly stolen and then dumped). They said the shelter said he had an adoption hold on him, and they were hoping to get him back some how (however, he had been held for the legally required claim period, and could now be adopted by others).

The doors opened and we all shuffled in. Sharon, the adoption coordinator I had spoken to the day before, immediately recognized me and waved me over asking, "Oh hey did you get my email?" My heart froze in my chest, unsure what the news would be. "They released the hold, she's all yours!" I literally jumped up and down in place and squealed, my hands over my mouth. She explained to me that the family had adopted the husky instead. My heart sunk a little for the couple who's dog had just been rehomed.
Me and my girl!

Our visit together
We talked about the next steps. She would need to be spayed, which meant she couldn't go home that day and while that was sad for me, I understood. It is incredibly important to spay and neuter and the 2 days would give me time to make sure things were squared away at home. We finished all the planning and then I went back to sit with her.

I loved on her, brushed her, and gave her big hugs and kisses. Before I left I left I knelt and promised her, I would be back for her on Friday. Leaving was very hard, especially not knowing if she understood. So I went home and immediately began preparing: crate, leash, collar, brush, soap (because god love her, she has so much dirt on her fur.) I could barely sleep that night. Before bed I printed out all sorts are articles, even the county laws and statutes.

When Friday Arrived I could barely contain myself. It was all I could do to wait long enough so i wouldn't show up hours early. I made her ID tag, ensuring there was enough information that in case she somehow got loose someone would know exactly where to bring her. Her new tag also had her new name on it, Leia. When I could no longer contain myself, I left for the shelter. The drive was alright and when I walked in the door Sharon smiled. She was finishing another adoption and so in just a few moments it was my turn.

When I sat down the first bit of news shocked me. Leia had already been spayed and no one knew it! They has put her under anesthesia, shaved her down, and found her spay scar. They double checked and sure enough, she was fixed. They trimmed her nails and woke her up. When we'd finished all the papers, they went back with her collar and leash, and brought her out. She was a little wobbly from being under, but still the same sweet girl. We took a picture and then I walked her until she peed. Then it was time to hop in the crate!
Her First, uncertain steps into freedom and a new life!

There was one problem with this.... she was significantly larger than the crate I brought. Granted, the crate wasn't meant for her, it was one of my transport crates. While border collies fit well, she has about 5 more inches in length than them and I'm pretty sure even if I shoved her in head first, her butt would never make it through the door. Instead I took the blanket out, laid it on the back seat, and helped her in. She wasn't sure if she wanted to get in the car, she had just gotten comfortable with shelter life, but I set her in the car (yep, I picked her up and set her in).

The last thing I did is MASSIVELY IMPORTANT. I left her leash on her, and then took the wrist loop, and put a seat belt through it. Why? Because now she was fastened to the car; if we got home and I opened the door and she bailed, she couldn't run away, she had all of 3 ft of slack. Especially with a new dog, always have them attached to the car because even though YOU know you're their new owner and they are going to a loving home, they might not and might try to return to the only home they have ever known, whether it is the shelter or their original home.

The car ride went well after she learned that moving car equals sit or lay down. She almost fell over twice and did fall of the seat once. I am sure being drugged did not help, but she made it home fine; no car sickness, no crying, nothing. I couldn't be more proud. Please read my next post Welcome Home: Leia's first day to hear how her home coming went.





Leia's Shelter Video: I made this for her while we were still waiting for her to come home.

 


Read our next chapter together! - Welcome Home: Leia's first day

No comments:

Post a Comment