Friday, July 6, 2012

My Baby You'll Be


A little lost? Read our last chapter: Happy 4th of July!


"Thanks for my crate mama!"
Well, this is about 2 days worth of updates mainly because not a whole lot happened yesterday. Leia is in love with her crate when the blankie isn't in it. She has been laying around the house some but her crate is absolutely her den now. If she is scared she retreats into her crate.

In fact, today when we went to clean her ears the first thing she did was bolt into the crate. I will not pull her out because I want her to know that the crate is her safe-zone and if she is ever scared or stressed she can go there an nothing "bad" will happen to her, even if it is ear cleaning. Instead I'll sit outside the crate with cookies and call her out. Granted this takes a lot longer than just dragging her out, but it's worth it.

"Did you say something about a walk?"
Yesterday we got a "welcome" letter from Leia's vet which explains their services and thanks us for choosing them and it was hand signed with a note from her vet. Also included in the letter was a magnet with the vet's contact information as well as a card for their recommended 24 hour emergency center should we ever have a late night emergency.

"Hey mama, Pet me!"
I like this vet, they are kind, loving, and they plan ahead for us. I'm going to Google map the 24 hour emergency center and print off a copy for her folder so if we ever have an emergency we'll be ready (because I have a feeling we'll be panicking at the time).

A friend posted a Link today of a video called the Adoption Entrance Dance (click the name to see the video). Oh man did I cry all through the video because I knew who the "bride" would be. You MUST watch it, It's adorable. I truly believe this is how excited I feel on the inside every time one of the dogs I follow or help with goes home.

Today I did my first transport in 6 months for our rescue and Leia stayed home just because it's not time for her to ride along yet. She put herself in her crate and I gave her her Kong and locked the door.  She was fine. I calmly picked up my keys and walked into the garage, locking the door behind me. In the seconds it took to walk to the front seat of my car I heard this screaming and whining coming from the house. Honest to God it sounded like someone was beating her, but they weren't.
Taking pictures together!

She was just mad. I quietly walked back to the door, silently unlocked it and then put on my best "mad Mommy" face and opened the door: "Eh! No! Quiet!" She silenced and I walked right back out. No more crying (at least not while I was still there). I swear, my neighbors probably think we use her as a punching bag but we have never laid a hand on her. She just doesn't like being left behind, and who could blame her.

When I came home I walked in quietly and then after a few moments said hello to her. A while later I let her out and we played on the floor a little. It's cute, if I am on all fours and pat both hands on the floor she takes it as a play bow and  excitedly bounces around me. I love when she gets all bouncy because she has this look of absolute joy. It's SO good to see that in her eyes.
"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be."
-Robert Munsch-

Before her dinner we went out to the tennis court and ran around. In the past she'd just kinda trotted after me but today she really ran and loved it. I discovered I can't let her come to a sudden stop, like when she runs to me and I stay still. If She does suddenly stop on the tennis court it scuffs the pads of her paws (like a rug burn). She had a great time and went and stood by the gate when she was ready to go. She sat with no problem and all in all I think she loved running on the court.

 We came home and took a few pictures. One of the last ones we took made me cry when I saw it. The picture (right) reminded me of a book my mom and I read "Love you forever" by Robert Munsch. The book is about a mother as she looks in on her baby (through various stages of life) as he sleeps and says the word shown bellow the picture on the right. If you want to hear the story click this link for a reading of the book by the author.

I remember reading this book with my mom and the words 
are a promise any parent or pet parent has in their heart (or should).


 

Read our next chapter together! Sunny Saturdays

No comments:

Post a Comment