Tuesday, July 17, 2012

2AM Summer Santa - Daddy's Home

A little lost? Read our last chapter: Quick update

Who's Summer Santa?
Well, last night was very exciting for Leia. As of 11PM she had no clue what was about to happen and tucked herself in to her crate (yep, this adorable girl puts herself to bed at night. It is adorable.) As midnight passed I quietly got up and locked the crate door as I normally do but this time I wasn't going to bed, I was preparing for her big surprise.

Almost two hours later there was a very soft tap at the door. Leia didn't even flinch because it was so quiet (the dryer settling makes more noise). I double checked to make sure the right "santa" was at the door, then let him in.  Tom was finally home, and it was time to meet his doggy-daughter.

Leia looked up and did her typical "woo woo" and quiet growls. It's more concern than aggression/defense, like her way of saying "Mom... mom who is that? Should he be in here?" We walked to the crate and put his hand alongside, letting her sniff. She'd sniff, thump her tail once, but then growl a little, as if to say "I think I want to trust you... but you're awfully new..." So I cracked out the big dogs, well, hotdog to be precise.

Tom gave her one or two pieces through the bars and then we let her out. I had her sniff again and showed him how to read her concern. At one point he was leaned over and her tail was tucking so I had him stand back up and sure enough, tail went to a less-stressed position. When she realized he not only had hotdog, but could pet her too, Leia was in heaven.

After a few moments of introductions we put her back in her crate (for safety) and got a few more things out of the car, including the presents Tom had brought her. The first was a Serta doggy bed he'd found at Sam's Club. The second was a pair of super durable stuffed toys (specifically designed to be rip resistant, because we weren't sure if she'd be a de-stuffer or not).

As soon as we were done with the car we let Leia back out and went to the bedroom to introduce her to her bed. Leia just wanted more petting! Tom laid down on the bed near the corner her doggy bed was at. At first Leia wasn't sure if she was "allowed" to get on the doggy bed so she tried to lean over it to get petted. I gave her a gentle push and she lay down on the dog bed cautiously, then reveled in it: "ohhhh mama, I like this guy he brings me awesome things..."

She rolled all over it and lifted her head to get pets. Then she noticed her new toy. She was cautious at first, so after a few moments I shook it and threw it across the room. It clicked, Leia went flying after it and brought it back, flopping on the bed and chewing away.

After a while we went back in the other room and Leia would walk back and forth between the rooms, splitting her time between begging for attention and love, chilling on her new comfy bed, and shaking her new triceratops (she has a blue stegosaurus that she'll get at a later date). She was SO happy she couldn't stop smiling.

When it was finally bed time she did go back to her crate (in the future we might have her sleep on the doggy bed) because I knew she was a little overwhelmed and could probably use the security of the crate (and partly to ensure she didn't keep us up all night because she was excited).

I love my new Daddy!
This was an AWESOME night!
She did fall back into a bad habit at bed time which was crying a little in her crate but who could blame her, she didn't want the fun to stop. I gave her a gentle correction and she calmed right down.

I couldn't be more pleased with how this introduction went. I think she knew he was someone very special to me, and that he wasn't a danger. I know it wore her out because I am writing this the morning after and normally she'd be ready to get out of her crate, instead she is out cold, having dreams. I think Leia had a great time, and this is the beginning of a great relationship, for all three of us.





Read our next chapter together! –   +1 Equals More Fun!


2 comments:

  1. Sarah, what an incredible post! Leia is such a beautiful pup and it is so great to see her so happy with her Dad! I am so glad that Sam’s Club could help make their first meeting so successful. Best of luck in the next few months and enjoy the rest of your summer! – Ramona from Sam’s Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Love Sam's. Great prices and quality items. The dino toys have really held up to her thrashings (she will run around the house and shake them or hurl them across the house) and she loves that bed. LOVES it. Thank you for stocking safe toys and beds.

      Delete