Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

A little lost? Read our last chapter: Worms, I Hate worms.

Happy 4th of July!
Ok, it's not Leia, but it is cute!
This morning I cleaned Leia's ears before our walk. I think she was mad at me because she did not want to follow commands this morning. At the gate it took us a good 10 minutes of redirecting before she finally sat down and stayed down until I opened the gate and called her. I mean she even went as far as to sit and immediately stand up when I touched the gate. I literally had to push her butt down whiling giving the sit command and then make sure she stayed there until we walked through. Whew it was all I could do to remain patient but if I gave in and accepted the behavior I would have taught the wrong lesson.

She's doing well this morning, you'd never know she got her meds last night. Today on a midday walk we were walking home when a man in a hoodie (hood up). came running up behinds us. He was running to his car to avoid the rain but Leia turned and gave two low growly barks. I paused and had her calm down and told the guy (who looked stunned) that she was a little fearful about running (the whole truth being she gets a little scared but normally just hesitant. I think she was trying to protect me and herself. I appreciate it but also appreciate that she trusted my judgement, and when I told her to stop she did.).

"I get to have friends over!"
Today she had her first "in house" meet and great when my friends Becky and Dorje came over. Leia didn't bark at all. When they came in she backed up (after I put a leash on her, just in case) She looked at them a little cautiously, sniffed, and then ran and hid in her cage. That was ok, I don't mind her using a cage a her safe place. I chatted for just a moment with Becky and Dorje and then called Leia gently to come over. She came back over and sniffed a little more. I gave them cookies to give her and then we settled in.

Mama's happy camper!
Becky and I sat on the floor and Dorje on the couch. Leia decided to make friends with Becky first and sat beside her, begging for pets. We chatted the entire time and never restrained Leia so she was free to approach or run as she felt she needed to (but after the first time she ran in the crate she wasn't afraid again). After awhile she went from Becky to Dorje, stopping in with me for just a second. She sat sniffed for a moment and soon realized he'd pet her too and was a happy little camper. I am very proud of how she did.

We went on a walk afterwards and met the old chocolate lab again, this time with his owner and not her mother (who was sitting for him when we first met). They sniffed and did ok until the lab went to sniff her. She tucked her tail and tried to run, which makes me think that maybe her growling is in fact tail guarding. I still think maybe something happened where another dog/animal was behind her and attacked her.

Leia also coped well with the fireworks in the neighborhood. When one would pop she might freeze or jump to the side but she didn't bolt or go into a frenzy. I think it was a very fair response, especially for her first holiday in her new home. We'll work on having something cute for next year, like a patriotic bandana, or a flag she can hold, or something.

As we go through this day, please remember those who are are out, fighting for our country, those who have given their lives for our freedom and the men, women, and yes even the dogs of our military, rescue workers, our police force, and our paramedics and firemen who put their lives on the line every day to keep this country safe. Our Love and prayers go out to all of you, and your families, and the families of the fallen.
From Tom, Leia and I, Thank you!



Read our next chapter together!

No comments:

Post a Comment